< Back to Projects

E. T. Woolfolk Office Building

Following the comprehensive renovation of the historic 1907 State Capitol during the 1980s, the Mississippi legislature embarked on a plan to centralize and renovate all governmental offices to create a “Capitol Complex” in downtown Jackson. A joint venture of Dean Dale & Dean, Eley Associates Architects, and CDFL (DEC); the firms prepared a master plan for the state’s needs.

The 15-story E. T. Woolfolk State Office Building, completed in 1949, is located immediately to the west of the Capitol Building.The structure required complete renovation and restoration including mechanical and electrical systems, asbestos abatement, and upgrades to bring the entire facility into compliance with Life Safety Codes and the Americans with Disabilities Act.

Along with the renovation of the existing building, a new 500-car parking garage and a central mechanical plant were added. The addition spans the full 15 floors allowing the Woolfolk to house the Department of Finance and Administration, the Office of the State Auditor, the Mississippi Insurance Department, the Public Service Commission, the Legislative Budget Office, the Office of the State Treasurer, and the Office of the Performance Evaluation and Expenditure Review.

The Woolfolk Building was designed to celebrate Mississippi’s culture and heritage. The commanding magnolia motif repeated on the exterior of the original edifice was recreated and continued on the addition. A three-story central atrium links the east entrance to the west motor court allowing secure entry points on each side of the building.

Joint Venture with DEC Group

+ is a dynamic team working together

robertRob Farr, Principal in Charge
cdflCDFL,
Project Architect

timeline

wolfolk_timeline

by the numbers

259,000

Existing original Woolfolk square footage

154,000

Addition square footage (90% usable)